We already know Peyton Manning isn't going to be donning his helmet in the Denver Broncos' 2015 preseason opener (well, Manning just might don his helmet to listen to the incoming playcalls because he's like that, but he won't be playing). We've also learned a handful of other players will be skipping the Broncos' game against the Seattle Seahawks
Broncos not expected to play
- QB Peyton Manning - Manning has been on a snap count throughout training camp, along with a handful of veterans
- WR Demaryius Thomas
- OLB DeMarcus Ware
- LB Danny Trevathan
- LB Brandon Marshall
- TE Owen Daniels
- CB Chris Harris Jr. (hamstring)
- WR Emmanuel Sanders (hamstring)
- CB Kayvon Webster (ribs)
- DT Marvin Austin Jr. (groin)
- LB Lerentee McCray
Broncos expected to play
- Louis Vasquez - despite being a valuable veteran who has gotten some time off camp, Vasquez will start at right guard so the new, young first-team o-line can try to gel together. Wise move by Kubiak
- Von Miller - The Broncos may be playing Miller (a bit) because four other linebackers won't be playing.
Seahawks not expected to play
The founding members of the Legion of Boom won't be there.
- CB Richard Sherman (minor hip flexor)
- S Kam Chancellor (hold out)
- S Earl Thomas (shoulder)
- CB Will Blackmon (groin)
- LB Kevin Pierre-Louis (shoulder)
- RB Marshawn Lynch (speculative - he could play, but The Seattle Times seems to think it's unlikely)
Seahawks expected to play
- QB Russell Wilson - at least a few snaps
- DT Jesse Williams - had a kidney removed two and a half months ago after being diagnosed with Papillary Type 2 cancer. "What a story," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Thursday.
- FB Derrick Coleman (hamstring)
So Brock Osweiler will have a first-team offensive line protecting him, but second-string targets against a second-string secondary. It should all even out to give the Broncos a good opportunity to evaluate their backup signal-caller.