I’m not a big fan of stats, but sometimes it is fun to take a peek and see if they paint the same picture our eyes are telling us. We tend to get into the weeds a bit during the season as we analyze the team’s play from week to week and I’ve always found it refreshing to take a step back and look at the team from a larger angle.
We are 8 games into the season and by now, most teams have an “identity” of sorts and probably aren’t going to drastically change who they are for the last 8 games of the regular season.
So who are the 2016 Denver Broncos?
What did the 2015 Denver Broncos look like 8 games into the season?
Let’s throw the stats down and see what we can see. Big hat tip to pro-football-reference.com for the stats. Any time you want to dig into the NFL game deeper, give them a click as they have a ton of deep, useful info to use for analyzing the game.
2015 Denver Bronco Passing Offense
2016 Passing Offense
Passing Game Observations
- The Broncos are throwing the ball a little less often
- They are completing passes at practically the same rate
- They are not getting as many yards per game passing
- We are throwing for TDs at about the same rate
- We absolutely are throwing to the wrong team far less often on average
- We are taking more sacks per game by a small amount
- Overall passer rating is better
- Our average passes are not getting thrown as far
Overall, it looks to me like the Denver Bronco passing offense is better in some small but significant ways. Protecting the ball is probably the most significant stat you can pull from looking at the big picture.
2015 Rushing Offense
2016 Rushing Offense
Rushing Game Observations
- The Broncos are running the ball a little more often
- We are getting more yards per game out of the run game
- We average ~0.38 yards more per attempt
- We are scoring via the rush more consistently
Again, you have to say we’re looking better offensively in the rushing game. Every stat here is up even if at a marginal rate.
I’ll work on another post in the coming days to go over the same kind of information regarding the defense to see how we are shaping up in that area. Hit me up in the comments...what do you notice? Is the cake a lie for our offense?