The Denver Broncos gave up one of their third round picks to move up five spots with the Seattle Seahawks to select Paxton Lynch in the first round. That takes their total number of draft picks down to eight.
The trade was absolutely necessary as reports came out that the Dallas Cowboys were also trying to leap back into the first round for Lynch. The Broncos still have plenty of ammunition to move around some if a guy on their board drops.
If the Broncos are to trade again, it is important to note that the compensatory picks are not tradeable this year. That would means the Broncos would have to package one of their remaining non-compensatory picks left.
Here is their updated picks after that trade:
- Round 2: Pick 63
- Round 3: Pick 98 (compensatory)
- Round 4: Pick 136 (compensatory)
- Round 5: Pick 144 (from Ravens in Gino Gradkowski trade)
- Round 5: Pick 157 (from Jets in Ryan Clady trade)
- Round 6: Pick 219 (compensatory)
- Round 7: Pick 228 (from 49ers in Vernon Davis trade)
- Round 7: Pick 253