clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Britton Colquitt sad to be leaving the Denver Broncos

New, comments

In a fairly revealing interview, Britton Colquitt opened up about his time with the Denver Broncos and the negotiations that went on between his agent and John Elway that ultimately led to him being cut on Tuesday.

Former Denver Broncos punter Britton Colquitt expressed real sentiment about the pain being cut from the teamon The Afternoon Drive with Eric Goodman and Les Shapiro. If you didn't know much about Colquitt the man, this interview was pretty enlightening.

And whatever complaining you've been doing about his cost to the Broncos the past few years, listening to him talk about how much he loves the organization, the leadership, the coaches, the fans and the city should make you appreciate what he gave us too - six years without missing a game, 45.2 average punt yardage and a Super Bowl performance that made a big difference for the victory.

The Broncos organization has been amazing. Hard to believe it's over. It's sad but we're thankful for the opportunity.   Britton Colquitt

"We fell in love wth it out here. We have a great home, amazing church. When we came out here, Nicki and I weren't married and now we have three kids. It's a lot more than football. The Broncos organization has been amazing," Colquitt said. "Hard to believe it's over. It's sad, but we're thankful for the opportunity."

Colquitt - whose father and uncle were punters and brother is currently a punter for the Chiefs - said the position is one in which a player can often stay with a team his entire career, and he was hoping to do that in Denver. Colquitt has been meeting with Elway throughout the summer and training camp to strike a new deal, but in the end, the veteran didn't think it was a good enough offer.

As he explained on the Afternoon Drive, it wasn't about the cut as much as the guarantee - or lack thereof. Set to make $3.25 million this year - after taking a trim to his contract last year to $1.6 million - Colquitt was offered $1.3 million per year for three years, with only the first year guaranteed. And it was only guaranteed if he made opening day roster. So, if Riley Dixon ended up making the final roster, Colquitt would be out and possibly too late to find a job with another team.

"After talking to John, it just couldn't have worked," Colquitt said. "I'm not mad. I don't want to say I'm pissed off, but I'm hurt. Not because of what anybody did. But because we love being here."

A consummate pro, Colquitt understands the decision and holds no grudges against the team or the guy who beat him out.

The Broncos felt good about Riley and I can't blame them. He's going to have a great career in football. -Britton Colquitt

"I'm not a money guy. I would much rather be here, so it wasn't that," Colquitt said. "But also [the Broncos] felt good about Riley, and I can't blame them. He's going to have a great career in football."

It doesn't feel like this is Elway's finest hour in negotiating a contract with a loyal servant. But Elway gets paid the big bucks to make the hard decisions, and as they all like to say, "at the end of the day, it's just business." But sometimes that philosophy sucker punches you.

Head coach Gary Kubiak called cut day "miserable."

"It's not tough, it's miserable. There you go, it's miserable," Kubiak said. "These guys stay with you all offseason, they're with you all training camp and then you have to say, ‘No.' Getting through this game, from a numbers standpoint, is very difficult. It's part of the business, but it's not fun. I can tell you that."

The good news for Colquitt is that he's already had interest from the Packers, Cardinals, Bears and Vikings, so his chances of staying an NFL punter are high.

Thanks for a great six years, Britton.

Bonus Listen

More quarterback talk as ole Bubby Brister chats with Eric and Les about the Broncos' now somewhat clear quarterback situation.