Good morning, Broncos Country!
Life for the Denver Broncos has now come full circle.
Brock Osweiler will get hist start for the team since 2015 this morning on the road against the Philadelphia Eagles. If anyone saw this coming, as I said in the game preview earlier this week, head to Las Vegas and take me with you.
It’s not hyperbole to say the Broncos season hangs in the balance. Any hope Denver (3-4) has keeping its faint playoff hopes alive rests on today’s outcome against the Eagles (7-1).
Adam Malnati and I also previewed today’s game on the latest MHR Radio Podcast. The MHR Radio Podcast is now on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. Please subscribe to the one that fits your fancy, and also rate and review what you hear.
But before the two teams write the next chapter today, let’s look back at the history. Notes are courtesy of the Broncos’ weekly release.
- Sunday marks just the 13th regular-season game between the Broncos and Eagles. Denver is 1-5 on the road and 4-2 in the Mile High City. The first game between the two teams was Oct. 31, 1971, in Philly. The Eagles won that game 17-16.
- The last game played between the Broncos and Eagles was Sept. 29, 2013 in Denver, when the Broncos won 52-20. Denver's longest winning streak in this series is two games, Oct. 4, 1998-Oct. 30, 2005. The longest for Philly is three games, between Oct. 29, 1989-Nov. 12, 1995.
- The last win for the Broncos at home over the Eagles was that game in 2013 when Peyton Manning and the offense dropped a 50 burger on Philly. The last time Denver lost at home to the Eagles was Oct. 29, 1989, when they won 28-24.
- The last time the Broncos beat the Eagles in Philly, and the only time they've done so, was Sept. 21, 1986, when Denver won 33-7. The last time Denver lost to the Eagles in Philly was Dec. 27, 2009, when Philadelphia won 30-27.
- In the Broncos and Eagles series there has been one shutout, on Sept. 20, 1992, in Philadelphia when it won 30-0. The most points for Denver is the 52 scored in the 2013 game. The most for the Eagles is 31 on Nov. 12, 1995, in Philly, when they won 31-13.
- The largest margin of victory for the Broncos over the Eagles is 32, from the 52-20 win in 2013. The largest for Philly is 30 from the lone shutout in the series when the Eagles won 30-0 1992.
- As you probably gathered, the most points combined for the Broncos and Eagles is 72 from the 52-20 Denver win. The fewest points combined for the two teams is 23 from the 13-10 Philly win on Sept. 18, 1983, at Mile High Stadium.
The key for the #Broncos to beat the #Eagles and get their second win in Philly is to win the turnover battle. Since 2012, Denver has won 31-straight games when it wins the turnover battle. It's the longest streak in the #NFL since Green Bay won 34 straight from 2009-13. pic.twitter.com/6rDyRcZdsx— Ian St. Clair (@IanStClair) November 4, 2017
- The key for the Broncos to beat the Eagles and get their second win in Philly is to win the turnover battle. Since 2012, Denver has won 31-straight games when it wins the turnover battle. It's the longest streak in the #NFL since Green Bay won 34 straight from 2009-13.
- The Broncos enter Sunday's game vs the Eagles with the No. 1 defense in NFL. Denver is No. 2 against the run and No. 6 against the pass. Carolina and Minnesota are the only other two teams to rank in the top 10 in both categories.
- Prior to the Broncos 23-10 loss to the New York Giants in Week 6, Denver had won five-straight games vs NFC East teams. A win on Sunday in Philly would improve the Broncos record to 6-1 since 2013 against the Dallas Cowboys, Eagles, Giants & Washington Redskins. Denver will play in Washington in Week 16.
NFL picks against the spread 2017, Week 9: Injuries keep changing the betting landscape - SBNation.com
Injuries are making it that much harder to pick games. But that won’t stop us.
Three Keys to Broncos-Eagles
In Philadelphia, Brock Osweiler will make his first start for the Broncos since the final regular-season game of the 2015 season.
Sacco Sez: Our quarterbacks and the Eagles
Brock Osweiler will become the ninth Broncos quarterback to start against the Philadelphia Eagles.
NFL Week 9 player matchups: Can Eagles' Carson Wentz conquer Broncos?
Carson Wentz, the MVP-caliber passer, has a huge test ahead against the Denver Broncos' top-ranked defense.
Week 9 NFL Nation predictions
The beat writers for both the Broncos and Eagles predicted a win for Philly today.
Broncos' pass protection will get major test with Eagles' front four
Despite giving up some big yardage this season, the Eagles' defense is tied for ninth in sacks (22) and tied for fifth in interceptions (nine).
Joseph details adjustment to Broncos road woes; Sanders questionable | 9news.com
It's not so much the notoriously hostile Philadelphia Eagles fans the Broncos have to worry about.
Denver7 Keys to Broncos victory vs. Eagles - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com
The Broncos arrive in Philadelphia with a new quarterback, and an old problem: road issues.
Woody Paige: Where have you gone, Demaryius Thomas? - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com
Broncos Country turns its lonely eyes to DT.
Previewing the Eagles-Broncos game - Bleeding Green Nation
Listen to BGN Radio on SportsRadioWIP!
Crunching The Numbers: Denver Broncos - Bleeding Green Nation
Will the Brocket Ship save Denver’s season?
Jay Ajayi and LeGarrette Blount: Deploying Philadelphia’s Running Backs - Bleeding Green Nation
How to divvy up Eagles RB touches in a suddenly crowded backfield
This No-Name D Is Playing Its 'A' Game
Some of the pieces were already here – Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham up front, a linebacker corps that returned intact, and a safety duo of Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod that only figured to improve.
If Philadelphia Eagles' Jay Ajayi plays Sunday, he'll get 'taste of every aspect' of offense | PennLive.com
Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Friday he hasn't decided whether Jay Ajayi will play vs. Broncos.
NFL is looking to bring an Eagles game to London in 2018 - Bleeding Green Nation
The Eagles could be crossing the pond next season.
AFC West Tracks
Who Is the Chargers’ First-Half Offensive Player of the Year? - Bolts From The Blue
With 8 games down, who has been the Chargers’ best offensive player this season?
Talented Chargers defense has key issues to tackle - LA Times
Through the first half of the season, the team’s 3-5 record is either the fault of the offense or a testament to the defense, depending on how you want to look at it.
Los Angeles Chargers GM Tom Telesco's draft hits and misses - Los Angeles Chargers Blog- ESPN
Tom Telesco has had his share of home runs and whiffs in the draft since taking over as general manager in 2013. We break down the classes.
Following Anthony Lynn's edict, Philip Rivers curbing turnovers
Philip Rivers has worked hard to meet Anthony Lynn's edict to cut down on turnovers; now the first-year coach is talking about loosening the reins.
What is going on with Tamba Hali and the Chiefs? A timeline - Arrowhead Pride
Let’s start this story at the true beginning, and that’s six days before the Kansas City Chiefs’ first open training camp practice.
Chiefs know they'll see plenty of Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys' run game
The Chiefs, who are allowing 4.9 yards per carry, say they were gearing for a run-heavy Dallas attack regardless of Ezekiel Elliott's playing status.
KC Chiefs 6-2 at NFL midpoint but fans are skeptical | The Kansas City Star
Kansas City has seen this movie before. Fan satisfaction is impossible to measure, but if social media, emails, voicemails and other forms of expression are to be believed there is an enormous disconnect between the KC Chiefs’ 6-2 start and their fans’ general fatalism.
Kansas City Chiefs activate linebacker Tamba Hali | The Kansas City Star
The Kansas City Chiefs activated outside linebacker Tamba Hali but it’s not known if he’ll be on the active roster for Sunday’s game at Dallas. He had been on the physically unable to perform list and joined the team at practice this week for the first time.
Raiders QB Derek Carr may have healed physically but not psychologically - Silver And Black Pride
Many are starting to wonder if Derek Carr hasn’t quite healed mentally from a series of injuries.
Why Derek Carr checked down at the end of the first half
With two seconds left from Buffalo’s 47, Carr dumped off to Jalen Richard
Can Oakland Raiders replicate last season's post-Florida success?
The Raiders are making the most of their week at a Florida resort, attempting to reset after their 3-5 start as they kick off the second half in Miami.
Shalom Luani learns as Karl Joseph heals for Raiders – Las Vegas Review-Journal
Shalom Luani, an instinctive safety, trusts his eyes in coverage. The workload he received Sunday should help train them.
Biggest Week 9 NFL questions, stats and predictions - NFL Nation- ESPN
Will the Eagles continue to ride their defense and MVP candidate Carson Wentz all the way to the Super Bowl?
NFL Week 9: Matt Ryan vs. Panthers, Benjamin Trade | SI.com
Plus, why the Eagles will go heavy on the blitz against Brock Osweiler, why Deshaun Watson would have been the Colts’ worst nightmare, and why the Dolphins moved on from Jay Ajayi
Six teams on upset alert in NFL Week 9
We are at a critical point now. While some teams are completely out of the running, for the most part playoff positioning is still wide open in NFL Week 9.
NFL Week 9 in five tweets | NFL | Sporting News
We know the Browns won’t lose this week. Cleveland is one of six teams with byes. The 49ers, the league’s other 0-8 team, will seek to get their first win Sunday against visiting NFC West rival Arizona.
NFL Week 9: Kickoff times, TV channel info, game breakdowns
Here's everything you need to know to get settled for Sunday.
NFL IQ quiz Week 9: Time to test your football knowledge - NFL.com
Welcome to the Weekly NFL IQ Quiz, testing your knowledge as we head into Week 9 of the 2017 season. Think you know your stuff? Give it a go!
NFL Week 9 picks and lines: The computers pick who will win - Business Insider
Two models predict who will win the games in Week 9 of the NFL.
Papa John’s is probably regretting bashing the NFL | New York Post
Papa John’s declining sales might be a result of … the quality of their pizza.
NFL's head injury problems may be diagnosed, treated earlier
New methods of therapy and psychotropic drugs are helping former NFL players cope with brain injuries, but they often don't get enough aid.
NFL Teams Are Actually Getting More Predictable | FiveThirtyEight
The Jacksonville Jaguars have been one of this season’s surprise teams at 4-3, but they have been anything but consistent. Jacksonville opened the season with a…
Kaepernick, NFL protests aren't going away, as much as the league wants them to
Player protests and Colin Kaepernick's grievance, among other issues, aren't going away.
Ezekiel Elliott, Clay Matthews are just a few of the NFL's smelling salt users
They offer players a putrid punch in the nose but likely little actual performance boost. So how exactly did smelling salts become an essential part of NFL game days?