Good morning Broncos Country!
We’re that much closer.
After today’s game against the Washington Redskins, the Denver Broncos only have one left in the regular season (thank goodness). Since the Broncos finally named Brock Osweiler the starter, all of the excitement has been taken out.
We previewed the game with our keys to victory for Denver a few days ago, and Adam Malnati did so on the MHR Radio Podcast. The MHR Radio Podcast is now on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. Please subscribe to the one that fits your fancy, and also rate and review what you hear.
Is @johnelway "scheming" for the #Broncos, & should #BroncosCountry be "excited?" @AdamMalnati16 & I are curious about the prospects on the @MileHighReport Radio Podcast. Also, WTF is a catch?!? https://t.co/Qt9IJXu8XP— Ian St. Clair (@IanStClair) December 20, 2017
Before the Broncos (5-9) and Redskins (6-8) kickoff today let’s look at the history of the series. Notes are courtesy of Denver’s weekly release.
- Today’s game between the Broncos and Redskins is the 13th regular-season game between the two teams. Denver is 7-5 in those games, 5-2 at home; 2-3 in D.C. The first game was played Nov. 1, 1970, in Denver with Washington winning 19-3.
- The most recent game between the Broncos and Redskins was Oct. 27, 2013, in Denver with the Broncos winning 45-21. The longest winning streak for Denver is 3 games, from Oct. 13, 1980-Nov. 20, 1989. The longest for Washington is 2 games, from Nov. 1, 1970-Sept. 30, 1974.
- The last home win for the Broncos over the Redskins was that 45-21 game in 2013. Peyton Manning and Denver's offense scored 31 points in the fourth quarter. Manning threw for 354 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions. The last home loss for the Broncos came on Nov. 18, 2001, 17-10.
- The last road win for the Broncos over the Redskins was Sept. 27, 1998, when Denver won 38-16. Bubby Brister started that game for the Broncos, throwing for 180 yards and 2 TDs. Terrell Davis had 21 carries for 119 yards and one touchdown. Darrien Gordon also had a 55-yard pick-six.
- The last road loss for the Broncos against the Redskins was Nov. 15, 2009, 27-19.
- There have been no shutouts in this series. The most points for Denver came from that game in 2013. The most for Washington came on Oct. 12, 1992, when it won 34-3 in D.C.
- It's no coincidence that largest margin of victory for both the Broncos and Redskins came from those two games. Remember this is regular-season games between the two teams.
- The Broncos and Redskins have met one time in the NFL playoffs, that of course was Super Bowl XXII in San Diego. We won't say anything more about that game.
- Interesting note on the series between the Broncos and Redskins: Rod Smith caught his first career touchdown against Washington on Sept. 17, 1995, at Mile High in Denver's 38-31 win. On top of that, it was the final play of the game. Quite the harbinger for Smith.
- Of course the other connection between the Broncos and Redskins is Champ Bailey. On March 2, 2004, the cornerback came over in a trade for Clinton Portis. As Portis said a few years ago, “I can’t name a better trade that happened in the #NFL since then.”
- Broncos owner Pat Bowlen can pass former Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis for the first most regular-season wins and all-time victories by an NFL owner. Mr. B currently sits at 327 regular-season wins & 348 overall victories. He needs to be in Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- Broncos running back C.J. Anderson needs 142 yards rushing to record his first 1,000-yard season. He would be the first Denver running back since Knowshon Moreno in 2013 (1,038) to rush for 1,000 yards.
- Broncos linebacker Todd Davis needs two tackles to reach 200 for his career.
- Brandon Marshall needs eight tackles to reach 100 for the third time in his career. He would also be the first Denver player since Wesley Woodyard in 2012 to record 100 tackles in a season.
- Broncos linebacker Von Miller needs 2.5 sacks to move into the NFL's top 50 in career sacks (he currently sits at 83.5).
- Bradley Roby, with one pass defended, will become the first Broncos player since Chris Harris Jr. in 2014 with 17 passes defended in a season.
The MHR Radio Podcast is now on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. Please subscribe to the one that fits your fancy, and also rate and review what you hear.
Broncos vs. Washington: Denver will likely start Brock Osweiler - SBNation.com
Osweiler gets the nod over Paxton Lynch when Denver takes on Washington in Week 16. Can he top his last game?
Sacco Sez: The story behind Rod Smith's first catch
In 1995, Rod Smith made history against the Washington Redskins.
Three Keys to Broncos-Redskins
No matter who starts at quarterback, the Broncos' keys to victory in Washington this weekend remain the same.
Mason's Mailbag: Dick Enberg and some of the Broncos' greatest moments
The late Dick Enberg was never an official "voice of the Broncos." But he was at the mic for so many great moments in team history it sometimes seemed that way.
Woody Paige: If Broncos pursue Cousins, would be another development in 11-year saga - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com
If Kirk Cousins joins the Broncos next year, it would be the ultimate time and space oddity.
Demaryius Thomas compares to Julio Jones in significant stat categories | 9news.com
Now, for where Jones separates: He is averaging 4.5 yards per catch more than Thomas this season. Jones ranks third in the league with 1,215 yards; Thomas has slipped to 21st with 840.
Bill Musgrave on Broncos' success with run game: Let's keep it going
In the Broncos' five wins this season, they relied more on rushing than passing. Will this be their offensive identity moving forward?
Tyrique Jarrett mysteriously disappears from Broncos’ roster | Broncos Wire
The Denver Broncos apparently moved on from rookie nose tackle Tyrique Jarrett.
Broncos cheerleaders spread holiday happiness to Children’s Hospital patients | FOX31 Denver
DENVER -- Tis the season for giving, but when it comes to the Denver Broncos cheerleaders, giving back is their focus all year long.
NFL playoff scenarios 2017: What Cowboys, 6 other teams need to happen - SBNation.com
The NFL playoff field is almost set, but there are a few teams that still have long-shot scenarios.
NFL playoff picture 2017: Which teams are going to make it to January? - SBNation.com
There are still seven of 12 playoff spots up for grabs with only two weeks left to go. Retired NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz breaks down the contenders and pretenders.
Rams DL Aaron Donald gives NFL quarterbacks nightmares. Here's why. - SBNation.com
Aaron Donald proved he’s a special kind of pass rusher against the Seahawks last week. He’s also retired NFL defensive end Stephen White’s Hoss of the Week.
Biggest Week 16 NFL questions, stats and predictions - NFL Nation- ESPN
Who will punch their postseason ticket? Is Blake Bortles really this good? Can Kareem Hunt win the rushing title? We should find out this weekend.
NFL Week 16 matchups to watch: Can Elliott save Cowboys' season?
These five player matchups could help the NFL postseason picture come into focus.
NFL Week 16: Nick Foles Second Start, Hundley Audition | SI.com
Plus, Tom Brady has a chance to attack the Buffalo D, how the Cowboys could tweak their approach for Russell Wilson, and a big test for the much-improved Ereck Flowers
Twenty-five things to know about Week 16 injuries - NFL.com
Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Marqise Lee will not play against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday because of an ankle injury. Who else will be sitting out this weekend?
NFL IQ quiz Week 16: Time to test your football knowledge - NFL.com
Welcome to the Weekly NFL IQ Quiz, testing your knowledge as we head into Week 16 of the 2017 season. Think you know your stuff? Give it a go!