clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Horse Tracks: Elway leaves the door open for Joe Mixon

New, comments

Good Morning Broncos Country!

Sean Gardner/Getty Images

Denver Broncos General Manager John Elway held a pre-draft press conference on Monday and fielded a number of questions. One topic that Elway discussed was about controversial running back prospect Joe Mixon who the Broncos met with back in March.

Elway was bluntly asked if Mixon was still on their draft board and Elway came back with an equally blunt response. "I'm not going to tell you who’s on the board." A simple no would have worked since other General Managers have done the same recently. He's reportedly off the Eagles board, off the Patriots and Dolphins board, not the Falcons board, as well as six unnamed teams. So saying, Mixon, is off your board wouldn't be anything risky to say, but Elway remained silent on the topic.

Elway stated that he had a "good meeting" with Mixon during his pre-draft visit with the Broncos last month and that they went through the whole incident with them.

"We had a good meeting with him. There’s no question. I didn’t get a chance to spend a lot of time with him, but I had a meeting with him. We went through the whole process and what happened. I’m sure he had been through it several times. But for us to be able to hear it from him, and what happened—we went through all that."

Elway was then asked about Mixon's character which is being evaluated by all 32 teams and the media, and Elway said that this is something they're still collecting information on.

"We’re still evaluating that. Obviously, that’s an issue and it’s something that we’re continuing to look at while getting as much background as we can on Joe to see where he may fall for us."

If Elway is being truthful here, the Broncos are still collecting info on Mixon and declined to say whether or not if Mixon is off their board. To me, that points to the Broncos still have some interest in Mixon and will consider him if he is there in the second round. Elway could just be playing coy here and not giving anything away, but there appears to be some sort of interest here.

To further push my point, Head Coach Vance Joseph called Mixon a "nice young man" during the league's Owner Meetings a few weeks back.

"I thought Joe was a nice young man, Obviously he had an issue three or four years ago, but he’s owned it. We brought Joe in because he didn’t go to the combine. We brought him in, we talked to him for a day. He’s owned it, he’s been remorseful for his mistake and he’s a nice young man."

So unlike other teams, the Broncos are keeping the door open on Mixon. What also may help them make their decision is that Mixon settled his civil suit with the woman he punched in that incident. So with that officially behind him, teams may feel a bit more comfortable selecting Mixon.

Horse Tracks:

Adrian Peterson, New Orleans Saints closing in on deal - NFL.com
Adrian Peterson and the Saints are believed to be closing in on a contract that is expected to be worth $3.25 million for the 2017 season, a source informed told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers tested positive for dilute sample - NFL.com
Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers tested positive for a dilute sample at the NFL Scouting Combine, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports. He is the second high-profile prospect to test positive.

Bills decline to match Patriots' offer for Mike Gillislee - NFL.com
The New England Patriots officially poached another restricted free agent from the Bills. Buffalo declined to match the two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet for running back Mike Gillislee.

Former No. 1 pick Jake Long announces retirement - NFL.com
Jake Long, the No. 1 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, is hanging up the helmet. The soon-to-be 32-year-old offensive tackle announced his decision Monday.

Nerve in Jaylon Smith's knee regenerating; LB can lift his toes - NFL.com
The nerve in Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith's knee has started regenerating again, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports. There is still a long way to go, but he's slowly regaining muscle control.

D'Onta Foreman reveals the pain of dealing with his son's death - NFL.com
Speaking exclusively to NFL Network's Andrea Kremer, Foreman reveals publicly for the first time the deep pain he felt after the death of his infant son last November.

Saints leaning against Malcolm Butler trade - NFL.com
It sounds like an offer for Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler might not come ahead of Thursday's draft in Philadelphia. At least it might not come from the New Orleans Saints.

Giants to exercise 5th-year option on Odell Beckham - NFL.com
The Giants have stood behind receiver Odell Beckham throughout his career. On Monday, they continued that trend by picking up the receiver's fifth-year option, according to NFL Network's Kimberly Jones.

2017 NFL Draft: All-Pros, Pro Bowlers and red-star players - NFL.com
How good are Deshaun Watson and DeShone Kizer? Three QBs in this draft have traits to become Pro Bowlers, Bucky Brooks writes, but none rank among the eight guys who could be future All-Pros.

Report: NFL teams holding missed bowl game against Jabrill Peppers | ProFootballTalk
Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers was one of a handful of draft prospects who didn't play in his team's bowl game. And now that may be costing him in the eyes of NFL teams. Adam Schefter reported today on ESPN that there are teams with concerns that Peppers didn't play in his bowl game.

Still using a crutch, Mike Pouncey had stem-cell procedure | ProFootballTalk
Dolphins center Mike Pouncey continues to have trouble with his hip, as evidenced by one obvious fact: He attended the funeral of former college teammate Aaron Hernandez on Monday while using a crutch.

Albert Wilson signs RFA tender with Chiefs | ProFootballTalk
The deadline for restricted free agents to sign with other teams has come and gone, which leaves players yet to sign their tenders with little reason not to do so. Chiefs wide receiver Albert Wilson is among the latest to come to that conclusion.

John Lynch admits he’ll consider a quarterback at No. 2 | ProFootballTalk
49ers G.M. John Lynch threw water on the report that the team is strongly considering taking a quarterback with the second overall pick in the draft during a Monday pre-draft press conference. And then Lynch essentially confirmed the report.