One prospect who the Denver Broncos have been showing interest in and may consider on day two of the 2017 NFL Draft is former Ashland tight end, Adam Shaheen. He is a 6'6", 278lb tight end who is considered one of the top tight ends in this talented tight end class. Shaheen is ranked as the 44th overall prospect in the 2017 NFL Draft according to CBS Sports and is ranked as the 3rd best tight in the class.
During the past two seasons at Ashland, Shaheen has totaled 127 receptions for 1,670 yards, and 26 touchdowns. This past season he totaled 57 receptions for 867 yards and a whopping 16 touchdowns. Shaheen is a two-time AFCA All-American and first-team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference pick as well.
Height: 6'6" Weight: 278lbs 40 time: 4.79 seconds
Bench Press: 24 reps (Top performer in his positional group at the Combine Vertical Jump: 32.5 inches
Broad Jump: 121.0 inches 3 Cone Drill: 7.09 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.38 seconds 60 Yard Shuttle: 12.38 seconds
- Has great size
- Powerful frame
- Good athlete for a man of his size and build
- Former basketball player moving to tight end(Like Gates, Graham, Thomas and so on)
- Able to create separation in his routes
- Was a move tight end in college
- Big red zone target
- Dominated lower level competition
- Powerful inline blocker
- High motor and gritty player
- Able to break tackles and create YAC
- Good hands
- Very raw but high upside
- Incredibly raw prospect
- Played against lower level talent and will need to prove himself against NFL type talent
- Needs to work on his route running
- Powerful blocker but technique needs work
- A little too aggressive while running routes and may get flagged for that in the NFL
- A bit of a project player who may not contribute a ton right off the bat
Does tight end Adam Shaheen make sense for the Denver Broncos?
If the Broncos miss out on the top tight end prospects, then yes, Shaheen makes a ton of sense for them.
You do not find humans this big who are this athletic, so I understand the intrigue around Shaheen. He's huge, powerful, athletic, good hands, and has some football background as well. This is a type of player that a Tight end coach and an offensive Coordinator would love to work with.
He does come with some flaws, however. He played DII college football and rarely played against top NFL talent, so that transition could be a rough one for Shaheen. This likely keeps him from having a big role immediately in the NFL.
Now with that said, I think he can be a big red zone target for some team and likely have a package or two early on that takes advantage of his size, skills, and athleticism.
I have considered Shaheen a late day two(likely third rounder) prospect but it sounds like his stock is rising and if the Broncos want him they will have to take him in the second round. That might be a bit high for a prospect this raw, but I would personally be okay with it.
The Broncos have bodies at the tight end position but none of them have really separated themselves from each other. So I expect a tight end to be added to the group and likely push one or two of those current guys off the roster.