One prospect who may interest the Denver Broncos on day two of the 2017 NFL Draft is former Alabama defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson. He is a 6-3, 310lb defensive lineman who is considered one of, if not the top nose tackle prospect in the draft. Tomlinson is ranked as the 79th overall prospect in the 2017 NFL Draft according to CBS Sports and is ranked as the 6th best defensive tackle in the draft.
Tomlinson played four seasons at Alabama and was a key member of the Crimson Tide's dominant defense during that span. During that four-year career, he totaled 122 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss, 4 sacks, 9 pass deflections, and 1 forced fumble. This past year he totaled 62 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, 3 sacks, 4 pass deflections, and 1 forced fumble.
Nose tackle, Junior, Alabama
Height: 6'3" Weight: 310lbs 40 time: 5.19 seconds
Arm Length: 33 1/2" Hands: 10 1/8"
Vertical Jump: 27 inches Broad Jump: 110.0 inches
3 Cone Drill: 7.68 seconds 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.59 seconds
- Has a large thick frame
- Powerful lower half with a strong punch
- Just an overall powerful man who doesn't get moved very easily
- Space/blocker eater
- Good run defender
- Has a wrestling background which is always nice for trench players
- Good technique
- Can play DE or NT
- Very smart and has good football awareness
- High motor player who doesn't quit on the play
- Unselfish player who will do the dirty work to make people around him better
- Good character and plays for his mother who passed away in 2011
- Offers very little as a pass rusher
- While technique is good, he sometimes relies on his strength too much
- Two-down player
- Only one season of being a full-time player for Alabama(Tons of D-line depth in years prior)
- Not a twitchy athlete
- Prior ACL injuries in 2012
Does Dalvin Tomlinson make sense for the Denver Broncos?
I love the fit.
The Broncos defense had one weakness last year and it was run defense. They went out and added nose tackle Domata Peko and defensive end Zach Kerr to help fix that weakness. Both are big and strong players who will clog those running lanes that were left wide open last season. However, Peko is coming off a pretty bad season and is up there in age, so the Broncos should be looking for someone to spell him at times in 2017 and eventually take over, and this is where Tomlinson comes in.
Tomlinson will come in and do that dirty work at nose tackle. He will take on double teams, eat up blockers, and let his teammates go out and make plays. He will not be a fan favorite or someone who makes the highlight reel, but someone who will be a key member of the Broncos defense.
Since he is a two-down only player I think he will be there in the third round, and if he is there for the Broncos I think they should select him. He will provide depth his rookie year and help spell the veteran Peko. Tomlinson can also end up playing a Vance Walker like role where can play 3-4 run stuffing end or nose tackle for the Broncos defense.
Tomlinson won't be that sexy pick or high sack number guy, but someone this defense needs right now.