Good morning, Broncos Country!
By now the analysis is a dead horse.
So instead of adding another hit with a bat by saying the key for the Denver Broncos is to dominate the line of scrimmage, let’s look at the series history with the Dallas Cowboys. Sam Adams, the former columnist with the Rocky Mountain News, gets us started with some interesting history about this series.
Six of the 11 times the Broncos and Cowboys have played in the regular season, the winner has gone to the Super Bowl (that includes 1977 for both teams). Adams added nine of the 11 times the teams have played, the winner has gone to a conference championship game.
Will that history hold true after Sunday? Only time will tell. As I did last week and will continue to do over the course of the season, let’s look at some of the other notes from this matchup and records that specific Broncos can attain in this game.
Adam Malnati and I also previewed Sunday’s game on the latest Mile High Report Radio Podcast. The MHR Radio Podcast is now on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. Please subscribe to the one that fits your fancy, and also rate and review what you hear.
With that out of the way, here is a look at the Broncos and Cowboys through the years.
- Sunday is the 12th regular-season game for the Broncos & Cowboys. The first game was Dec. 12, 1973, in Denver, a 22-10 Dallas win.
- The Broncos own a 7-4 all-time record vs the Cowboys. That includes a 4-2 mark at home & 3-2 on the road. Again, this is regular season only.
- The Broncos have won their last 5 games vs the Cowboys to tie for the second-longest active win streak against another NFL team.
- The longest win streak is 5 games, which the Broncos are in right now. That dates back to Sept. 13, 1998, a 42-23 win at old Mile High Stadium.
- The longest wining streak for the Cowboys is two games, from Dec. 16, 1992-Sept. 10, 1995. Dallas won those games 31-27 and 31-21.
- The Broncos & Cowboys each have consecutive wins in this series. Dallas opened with three straight from 1973-1977, when you include Super Bowl XII.
- The Broncos followed with two-straight wins from 1980-86, followed by that Cowboys two-game stretch from 92-95.
- The last Broncos home win over the Cowboys was a 17-10 win on Sept. 4, 2009. The last road win was the 51-48 classic on Oct. 6, 2013.
- The last Broncos home loss to the Cowboys was 31-27 on Dec. 6, 1992. The last road loss was 31-21 on Sept. 10, 1995. The last time Denver lost to Dallas, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin were on the roster.
- The Broncos and Cowboy have only met once in the playoffs, Super Bowl XII in New Orleans. We won't talk anymore about that game.
- The most Broncos points in the series is 51, from that classic game in 2013. The most for the Cowboys is 48, from the same game.
- It's not surprising that same all-time classic also is the most points the Broncos and Cowboys have combined to score - 99.
- The fewest points scored in the regular-season series is 20, a Cowboys 14-6 win over the Broncos on Dec. 18, 1977 in Dallas.
- The largest Broncos win is 21, a 41-20 victory in Denver over the Cowboys on Sept. 14, 1980. The largest Dallas win is 12, a 22-10 victory on Dec. 2, 1973.
- The Broncos have won a franchise-record 30 consecutive games, back to 2012, when they win the turnover battle, the longest streak in the NFL.
- Vance Joseph is the 12th person in team history to win his regular-season head coaching debut with the Broncos. John Fox is the lone loss (shocker).
- Vance Joseph can become the seventh head coach in Broncos history to win his first two games with the team.
- Von Miller needs 1.5 sacks to tie Barney Chavous (75) for third place on the Broncos all-time sack list.
- Domata Peko can/will extend his starting streak to 114 games, the longest active streak by an NFL defensive tackle.
- Aqib Talib can pass Deion Sanders, Ken Houston and Aeneas Williams into fourth place on the all-time list with 10 interceptions returned for touchdowns.
- Demaryius Thomas, with 34 career 100-yard receiving games, needs 100 yards to pass Calvin Johnson for the second most 100-yard games in the NFL since 2011.
There you go, Broncos Country. We’ll find out in one day where this game ranks in the all-time history of this rivalry, and whether the winner of this continues the trend of playing in the Super Bowl.
Team Super Bowlen, Broncos raise about $100,000 for 2017 Denver Walk to End Alzheimer's
Donations from the Bowlen family along with Broncos players, coaches and staff totaled nearly $50,000 for Team Super Bowlen. A matching donation from the Broncos’ organization brought the total donation to approximately $100,000 for Alzheimer’s research, support and care.
Broncos' scheme fits 'very well' for Ahtyba Rubin
The newest Bronco wasted no time getting up to speed on Friday as he joined the team.
FOX's Joe Buck explains his familial connection to the Denver Broncos
Buck also discussed his comfort with silence during a broadcast, interviewing a first-time head coach and his friendship with Jon Hamm and Paul Rudd.
Through My Eyes: Shelby Harris focuses on moving forward after big FG block
He's been cut six times, but that didn't stop him from staying focused and making a big play.
How one first-class flight from Dallas to Denver bolstered Broncos fortunes | 9news.com
Aqib Talib was asleep in the first-class section of a Dallas to Denver flight the morning of March 12, 2014.
Week 2 NFL player matchups: Can Broncos' Von Miller throw Cowboys off?
Dallas' high-powered offense vs. Denver's formidable defense is one of many must-see matchups on NFL's Week 2 schedule.
Denver Broncos' Justin Simmons hopes to build on quality opening act
The Broncos' Justin Simmons made some strong tackles in Week 1. And he will continue to be tested as the newest starter in the "No Fly Zone" secondary.
Woody Paige: Broncos vs. Cowboys will be a huge game for both teams - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com
In a parallel universe Dak Prescott would be starting at quarterback for the Broncos on Sunday, and Paxton Lynch would be a backup with the Cowboys as Tony Romo starts. But there is no Bizarro World.
Paul Klee: Ready for star power of Broncos and Cowboys? Tickets eclipse the $500 mark | Colorado Springs Gazette, News
Here’s all you need to quantify what Sunday’s game means to a lot of people. The average ticket price: $504.59, according to TakePick.
Prosecutors drop charge against Denver Broncos owner's son
After a drunken driving arrest, Colorado prosecutors have dropped an effort to revoke probation for the son of Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen. John Bowlen was arrested in July after he allegedly went more than 100 mph on a highway.
Film Room: New Broncos DL Ahtyba Rubin shuts down the run | Broncos Wire
New Denver Broncos defensive lineman Ahtyba Rubin has some impressive highlights of shutting down opposing teams' rushing attacks.
3 Areas The Broncos Must Show Consistency On Offense
Carl Dumler breaks down three areas the Broncos must demonstrate consistently they've improved in order for us to fully believe in their potential to contend in the AFC.
AFC West Tracks
Chargers hear a lot of noise about the crowd at StubHub Center won't be able to speak volumes as Dolphins come to town - LA Times
Chargers play host to the Dolphins in their regular-season home debut. How loud can little StubHub Center get?
Four-man rush could be enough for Chargers - LA Times
The stout edge-rushing tandem of Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa and a pair of solid tackles in Brandon Mebane and Corey Liuget allow the Chargers defense a luxury few NFL teams have.
No targets in opener no big deal to L.A. Chargers TE Hunter Henry
Hunter Henry was a part of the game plan against the Broncos, but the good looks never came in the Chargers' Week 1 loss.
Three Offensive Adjustments the Chargers Must Make - Bolts From The Blue
While the Los Angeles Chargers didn’t leave Denver with a win this past Monday night, they certainly came out of the game with some things upon which they should be able to build as the season progresses.
Kareem Hunt, KC Chiefs rookie running back quickly rises | The Kansas City Star
KC Chiefs rookie running back Kareem Hunt had more yards from scrimmage than any player in a debut in the 98-year history of the NFL. The question now: What does he do from here?
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Philadelphia Eagles preview 2017 | The Kansas City Star
A detailed look at the key players and matchups for the Kansas City Chiefs’ game against the Philadelphia Eagles at noon Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. The game will air on Fox (Ch. 4 in Kansas City).
Depth in Chiefs' secondary tested without Steven Nelson, Eric Berry
Just a week into the season, the Chiefs are forced to do a lot of shuffling in the defensive backfield.
KC Chiefs apparently don’t have a good home-field advantage - Arrowhead Pride
ESPN’s Bill Barnwell posted a story a few weeks ago that broke down which teams have the best home-field advantage in the NFL. Where did Arrowhead Stadium end up on the list?
Confident Raiders look to keep defense rolling – Las Vegas Review-Journal
Ken Norton, Jr. wasn’t surprised by what happened in Week 1. Not hardly, he said.
Kurtenbach: Penn's new Raiders deal is a win-win
Donald Penn's new two-year extension will help maintain the Raiders' cheat-code offensive line.
Oakland Raiders first-round draft pick Gareon Conley to make NFL debut Sunday
Oakland Raiders first-round draft pick Gareon Conley, who missed all of training camp with a shin injury, will make his NFL debut on Sunday against the New York Jets .
Jets head coach Todd Bowles was once Raiders head coaching candidate but turned down interview - Silver And Black Pride
Both Todd Bowles and Jack Del Rio are entering their third season with their current teams. That 2015 offseason both were among those slated to interview with the Raiders.
The real story of Andy Reid eating three steaks at dinner with Jeff Lurie | CSN Philly
Andy says he doesn't remember ordering three steaks but the Del Frisco's VP certainly does. BTW, this is the best story ever and proves everything I’ve ever said about the Kool-Aid Man.
Why the Bengals should fire Marvin Lewis and bench Andy Dalton - SBNation.com
Blow it up, Bengals.
NFL picks 2017, Week 2: Experts expect Cowboys and Raiders to keep rolling - SBNation.com
SB Nation’s all-star panel also sees a rebound for the Patriots and Seahawks this week.
2017 NFL season: The biggest surprise (so far) for each team - SBNation.com
The NFL went ahead and trashed a bunch of preseason storylines with just one week of action.
Week 2 NFL questions, stats and predictions - NFL Nation- ESPN
How bad are the Colts, how good are the Chiefs and will the Patriots get their groove back?
NFL Week 2 schedule, picks, Fantasy, TV, streaming: Beckham questionable vs. Lions - CBSSports.com
Everything you need to know for Week 2 of the 2017 NFL season is here.
Week 2 in the NFL is no easier to predict than the season openers - LA Times
The hardest week to predict the outcome of NFL games isn’t the first week, it’s the second. So many mirages. So many false impressions from Week 1. So much overreaction.
FPI projects best, most important games of NFL Week 2
The Green Bay Packers find themselves atop the matchup quality list for a second straight week, while surprisingly, Jaguars-Titans is the Week 2 game that will have the highest impact on the playoff race.
Sam Bradford set to play after having MRI on knee - NFL.com
The health of Sam Bradford's surgically repaired knee is something the Minnesota Vikings are monitoring, but it won't keep him sidelined for Sunday's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Aaron Donald added to roster, will start vs. Redskins - NFL.com
Rams head coach Sean McVay told reporters Friday that Aaron Donald would get the start on Sunday against the Redskins, six days after he reported to the club.
The NFL’s Crisis on Offense - The Ringer
Teams struggled to move the ball in Week 1, and it wasn’t just a statistical quirk. The league’s struggles on offense have deep roots and could become a long-term problem.
Wow, Week 1 Of The NFL Was Terrible | FiveThirtyEight
Games were low scoring AND not close.
Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss - CBS News
Many theories are being tossed around to explain the viewership drop, from hurricanes to politics to lackluster play
The strike that drained the last bit of innocence from the NFL | New York Post
You want to know a genuinely underrated moment in the litany of awful moments to be a Jets fan? This one: the evening of Monday, Sept. 21, 1987.
NFLPA says no irreparable harm to NFL if Dallas Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott plays during legal battle
The NFLPA says there would be no irreparable harm to the NFL if Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott continues to play while the legal battle over his six-game suspension makes its way through the court.
Anti-NFL billboard to be near Los Angeles Chargers' home
An electronic billboard displaying an anti-NFL message will be active for the next three weeks near the StubHub Center, where the Chargers are playing this season after relocating from San Diego.
Explore 7 N.F.L. Cities Beyond Football - The New York Times
Not everyone loves football, but there’s plenty to like about the N.F.L. cities hosting games this weekend.
ESPN's Chris Berman adjusting to reduced role on Sundays - NFL.com
Ed Sherman profiles long-time ESPN host Chris Berman and his new, reduced role on NFL Sundays after 31 years as the primary NFL host.
Ranking NFL players with most money to gain, lose with 2017 performances
No, it's not the future Hall of Famer in this photo who could be in for a payday based on how he plays (or doesn't) this season. It's his backup. Here's why, plus several more guys with a lot on the line.
The long-snapper: How to anonymously make $1 million in the NFL - Cincinnati Bengals Blog- ESPN
The Bengals' Clark Harris is part of a 32-man fraternity as an NFL long-snapper. It's a great gig, but they're just a bad snap or two from losing it.