Good morning, Broncos Country!
Enough of the analysis and breakdown.
It’s time for football.
Will the Denver Broncos continue this hot start to the season today in Orchard Park, N.Y. against the Buffalo Bills? Will Rick Dennison allow another stud pass rusher to compile a record sack day on his quarterback? Since the first Broncos season there have been some historical games in this series. Jim Saccomano revisited the 1997 game in Buffalo with this excellent story.
As I have done the first two weeks and will continue to do the rest of the season in this space, let’s look at some of the notes from this matchup and records that specific Broncos can attain in this game.
Adam Malnati and I also previewed Sunday’s game on the latest Mile High Report Radio Podcast. The MHR Radio Podcast is on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. Please subscribe to the one that fits your fancy, and also rate and review what you hear.
Here is a look at the Broncos and Bills throughout the years, courtesy of Denver’s weekly report.
- Sunday's game is the 37th regular season game between the Broncos and Bills. Denver is 16-19-1 (5-7-1 @ home; 11-12 in Buffalo).
Sunday's game is the 37th regular season game between the #Broncos & #Bills. Denver is 16-19-1 (5-7-1 @ home; 11-12 in Buffalo). pic.twitter.com/cSjE2LeEWK— Ian St. Clair (@IanStClair) September 20, 2017
- The first game was on Sept. 18, 1960, in Buffalo. The Broncos beat the Bills 27-21. The most recent game was Dec. 7, 2014, a 24-17 Denver win.
- The Broncos longest winning streak in the series vs the Bills is five games, from Sept. 3, 1995 to Sept. 9, 2007.
- The longest winning streak for the Bills in the series vs the Broncos is nine games, from Oct. 28, 1962 to Nov. 11, 1967.
- The last time the Broncos won in Buffalo was a 15-14 win over the Bills on Sept. 9, 2007. Ring of Famer kicker Jason Elam won the game with no time on the clock.
- The Broncos last loss in Buffalo to the Bills was a 40-14 drubbing on Dec. 24, 2011. Tim Tebow threw back-to-back pick-sixes in the fourth quarter.
- Interesting factoid: There have been no shutouts in the all-time regular season series between the Broncos and Bills.
- The most points the Broncos scored is 38, which it has done two times. The last was a 45-38 loss on Oct. 28, 1962. That 45 points also is the most points for the Bills.
- The largest regular-season win for the Broncos is 30 points, a 37-7 victory on Oct. 21, 1984, in Buffalo. The largest Bills win is 26 points, the Tebow game.
- The most combined points for the Broncos and Bills is 83, that 45-38 game in 1962 in Denver at Bears Stadium.
- The fewest points combined for the Broncos and Bills in the regular season is 16, a 9-7 win on Oct. 25, 1981, in Buffalo.
- The Broncos and Bills have only met once in the playoffs, the AFC Championship Game on Jan. 12, 1992, in Buffalo. Denver lost 10-7.
The #Broncos have won 14 of their last 17 games, all on the road, in games that kickoff at 11 a.m. MT. Sunday's game is in the early window. pic.twitter.com/kusF5lPC78— Ian St. Clair (@IanStClair) September 20, 2017
- The Broncos have won 14 of their last 17 games, all on the road, in games that kick off at 11 a.m. MT. Today’s game is in the early window.
- The Broncos have an 84-38-1 (.687) record in the opening month of the season in the Pat Bowlen tenure. The best in the NFL in that time.
- The Broncos have started 2-0 for an NFL-best fifth consecutive season.
Vance Joseph can become the 4th #Broncos head coach to win his first 3 games w/the organization. He'd join Miller, McDaniels & Kubiak. pic.twitter.com/d8DGsSmam8— Ian St. Clair (@IanStClair) September 20, 2017
- Vance Joseph can become the fourth Broncos head coach to win his first three games with the organization. He'd join Red Miller, Josh McDaniels and Gary Kubiak.
- Trevor Siemian, tied for the NFL lead with six touchdowns, has 24 career TD passes, the third most in Broncos history through the first 16 starts with the team.
- Paced by C.J. Anderson and his 199 rushing yards, the Broncos enter Week Three as the leading rushing team in the NFL with 159 yards per game. The first of my bold predictions for the game is Anderson and Jamaal Charles combine for 250 yards rushing in this game.
- Von Miller needs 3.5 sacks to tie Karl Mecklenburg (79) for second place on the Broncos all-time list. My other bold prediction for the game: Miller gets it with four sacks.
@VonMiller needs 3.5 sacks to tie @KarlMecklenburg (79) for second place on the #Broncos all-time list. My bold prediction: Miller get it. pic.twitter.com/AiNka7jYTh— Ian St. Clair (@IanStClair) September 20, 2017
- Miller has totaled the third most sacks per game (.84) in the NFL since the statistic started being tracked in 1982. He trails J.J. Watt and Reggie White.
- Domata Peko can/will extend his starting streak to 115 games, the longest active streak in the NFL by a defensive lineman.
- Aqib Talib can tie Darren Sharper and Charles Woodson for the second-most career interceptions returned for touchdowns in NFL history.
- Demaryius Thomas needs 158 receiving yards to reach 8,000 for his career. He'd become the sixth active player to reach that mark.
#Broncos @DemaryiusT needs 100 yards receiving to pass Calvin Johnson for the second most 100-yard receiving games in the #NFL since 2011. pic.twitter.com/ExqdzdtSFV— Ian St. Clair (@IanStClair) September 20, 2017
- Thomas needs 100 yards receiving to pass Calvin Johnson for the second most 100-yard receiving games in the NFL since 2011.
- The Broncos lead the NFL in defensive TDs since 2015 with 11, eight via interception, three via fumble. They're tied with the Kansas City Chiefs (boo) in that time.
- In the first 100 games with John Elway as general manager, the Broncos have a 71-29 record. That's believed to be the most by any GM in the first 100 games.
We will find out today where this game ranks in the all-time series.
Sacco Sez: The 1997 blizzard before Buffalo
Jim Saccomano recalls one of the most memorable road trips to Buffalo, which began with a late flight long delayed by one of Denver's biggest blizzards in recent years.
Three Keys to Broncos-Bills
The Broncos go on the road for the first time in the regular season, and face a challenge from Buffalo's strong ground game and stout front seven.
Mason's Mailbag: What the Broncos saw in Trevor Siemian from the beginning
Trevor Siemian's development over the last two years has been one of the best storylines around the Broncos.
Cheerleader spotlight: DBC Gabriela
Learn more about the second-year member of the Denver Broncos Cheerleaders!
Time for Broncos to show what they've got in a road show - ABC News
Time for Broncos to show what they've got in a road show
Early returns good for Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos' run defense - AFC West- ESPN
Brandon Marshall has the most tackles for a Broncos defense that has surrendered just one rushing play of over 10 yards this season.
Offenses have turned Denver Broncos turnovers into too many touchdowns - AFC West- ESPN
Sudden change has been too much for the otherwise-stout Broncos defense to handle thus far, as opponents are perfect in converting turnovers to TDs.
9 keys to Broncos beating the Bills | 9news.com
On paper, the Denver defense against Rico Ball is one of the biggest mismatches in the NFL this week.
Troy Renck's 7 Keys to Broncos victory at Buffalo - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com
The Broncos look to remain undefeated as they face Buffalo in their first road game of the season.
Woody Paige: The curious case of Trevor Siemian - Denver7 TheDenverChannel.com
Siemian is the lowest-paid starting quarterback in the NFL at $628,000. Yet, he has thrown the most touchdown passes in the league after two games - six.
Inside The Matchup: Denver Broncos DE Adam Gotsis vs. Buffalo Bills LG Richie Incognito
Nick Kendell breaks down what could be the key matchup in Broncos vs. Bills in Week 3.
Broncos vs. Bills: 3 keys to victory for Denver in Week 3 | Broncos Wire
The Denver Broncos face their first road test of the season. Here are three keys to victory against the Buffalo Bills in NFL Week 3.
Buffalo Bills coordinator Rick Dennison preparing to face his former team - Buffalo Rumblings
Dennison served as Denver’s OC from 2006-2008, and 2014-2015
Five Denver Broncos to watch against the Buffalo Bills - Buffalo Rumblings
These five Broncos will be a key part of Sunday’s matchup
Five Buffalo Bills to watch against the Denver Broncos - Buffalo Rumblings
Tyrod Taylor, Jerry Hughes, Jordan Mills need to step up if Buffalo is to win.
Jerry Sullivan: Defense looks great, but it's still early - The Buffalo News
Some things I've been hearing around town from Bills fans in recent days: Why can't they get rid of Dareus? When are they going to put Peterman in for Taylor at quarterback? Is Dennison doing to the running game what Rex did to the pass rush? Why doesn't Tyrod audible more? But the freshest refrain is, "How about that Bills defense!"
How Pilates turned Bills LB Lorenzo Alexander into a Pro Bowler - The Buffalo News
In a sport with a 100 percent injury rate, any advantage, any edge, is needed. And 34-year-old Bills linebacker Lorenzo Alexander has found his.
Bills head coach: Sammy Watkins' success 'hard to watch' for fans
Bills coach Sean McDermott was happy for Rams receiver Sammy Watkins' big game on Thursday, but he also understood the frustration for Buffalo fans.
Jordan Matthews wants fans to withhold judgment on Bills' receivers
With Buffalo's passing game struggling, QB Tyrod Taylor and his receivers are catching plenty of heat. But the Bills insist: Give us time.
AFC West Tracks
Chargers' Jason Verrett to have season-ending knee surgery - LA Times
Chargers cornerback Jason Verrett’s season is over barely after it got started.
Is it time for Los Angeles Chargers to move on from Jason Verrett?
With Jason Verrett out for the season with a knee injury, the CB will have missed 39 of a possible 64 games in his four seasons with the Chargers.
Chargers put their confidence in kicker Yunghoe Koo in hopes it will help push the turnaround - LA Times
The phone rang at Michael Husted’s home in late October, 1997, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker thought he knew what it meant. This was the call that was going to end all of that.
Melvin Gordon preaches patience with Los Angeles Chargers' run game
He's averaged just 2.5 yards per carry in the Chargers' 0-2 start, but Melvin Gordon thinks it's only a matter of time before the ground game clicks.
Los Angeles Chargers Can Prove They Can Contend This Weekend - Bolts From The Blue
In a game against the Chiefs, the Chargers can show if they are legit or need to quit.
Chiefs' Marcus Peters calls foes 'my kids' | The Kansas City Star
KC Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters is an All-Pro trash-talker. And he didn't disappoint in the lead-up to Sunday's showdown against the Chargers in Los Angeles, calling opposing teams' star wide receivers, such as Chargers wideout Keenan Allen, his children.
Faith sustains Chiefs' Winchester after dad's murder | The Kansas City Star
KC Chiefs’ long snapper James Winchester’s father was murdered last year. Winchester’s way forward has been through faith and forgiveness.
KC Chiefs star Kelce needs teammates' help | The Kansas City Star
KC Chiefs coach Andy Reid and many fans appear convinced that the coach can get Travis Kelce to change his knuckleheaded tendencies, despite all evidence to the contrary. They’re looking in the wrong place for influence.
Kareem Hunt would be playing a lot even if Spencer Ware stayed healthy
Maybe his numbers wouldn't be so great, but Hunt had shown too much ability in camp and the preseason to get just a token carry or two each game.
Alex Smith is making 2018 QB decision difficult on Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs didn't draft Patrick Mahomes for him to sit on the bench forever. But if Alex Smith keeps playing as he has, he'll be hard to replace.
Andy Reid is giving the Chiefs all the options on offense - Arrowhead Pride
One thing that drives many people crazy about the NFL is that there are very few true innovators. It’s called a copycat league for a reason. It’s rare to see a team do something that no one else is...
ESPN found a way to rank the Patriots ahead of the Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride
Congrats to ESPN who has discovered a ranking that puts the Patriots ahead of the Chiefs.
Healthy Raiders receive boost on special teams – Las Vegas Review-Journal
The Raiders entered 2017 relying on new, young faces on special teams. That stood to be a possible issue. It hasn’t been.
Raiders’ offensive coordinator says team’s linemen are best in the league – Las Vegas Review-Journal
Raiders offensive coordinator Todd Downing gives high praise to his offensive linemen
Terrelle Pryor's winding NFL story began with call from Al Davis
Al Davis believed in Terrelle Pryor from the beginning, and that drives the former Raiders quarterback turned Redskins receiver to be great.
Karl Joseph coming into his own at back end of Oakland Raiders defense
After injury woes as a rookie, safety Karl Joseph has been dynamic in 2017 for a unit that looks to have improved even with a number of youngsters.
Amari Cooper strengthens Raiders’ chances to return to prominence
ALAMEDA, California — The touchdown may wind up being his signature play, something Amari Cooper points to long after his football days are over to illustrate "That's how I rolled!"
Raiders look to take finishing kick to Washington
Ability to score and work the clock in fourth quarter results in first double digit back-to-back wins in Del Rio era
Raiders' Marshawn Lynch on Jalen Richard, DeAndre Washington
Marshawn Lynch does not envision Beast Mode 2.0 when he sees Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington.
Suspended Raiders LB Aldon Smith pleads ‘no contest’ to hit and run, DUI charges dropped - Silver And Black Pride
While Aldon Smith continues to serve his indefinite suspension from the NFL, his court case stemming from an August 2015 arrest has been resolved. According to a report by TMZ, Smith pleaded no...
For Oakland Raiders defense could be on the way - Silver And Black Pride
The Oakland Raiders are known for their prolific offense right now but the defense could be on the way.
2017 NFL: Which 2-0 teams will fall? Which 0-2 teams will rise? - SBNation.com
Some undefeated teams haven’t looked so convincing.
What to watch in NFL Week 3: Aaron Rodgers has never beaten Bengals - SBNation.com
Look who’s favored in a game: the Browns!
What to watch in NFL Week 3: Aaron Rodgers has never beaten Bengals - SBNation.com
Look who’s favored in a game: the Browns!
NFL ratings are down because teams have no incentive to be good - SBNation.com
This has nothing to do with Colin Kaepernick
No, the NFL isn’t about to send the Chargers back to San Diego - SBNation.com
Rumors that the Chargers could be on the verge of a return to San Diego are farfetched.
Chargers moving back to San Diego? Not much of a chance - LA Times
Rumors of Chargers moving back to San Diego seem to defy rational thinking.
L.A. fans don't just give their devotion, teams have to earn it - LA Times
Bill Plaschke sticks upfor the maligned LA sports fans for criticism of the city's support of the Rams and Chargers.
NFL, NFLPA respond to President Trump's anthem comments - NFL.com
The NFL and NFLPA showed supports for players and players' rights following remarks made by President Donald Trump condemning player protests.
Studying this NFL season's sloppy start; vital Week 3 questions - NFL.com
Bill Belichick certainly isn't the only coach citing stricter practice rules as an inhibitor to quality of play. Tom Pelissero examines the issue. Plus, five crucial Week 3 questions.
Biggest Week 3 NFL questions, stats and predictions - NFL Nation- ESPN
A survey of Week 3 storylines finds things getting dire from coast to coast, with a Giants team some saw as a contender mired in offensive doldrums.
NFL Week 3 kickoff times, TV info, matchup breakdowns
Here's everything you need to know for Sunday's games.
NFL Week 3's best bets: Expect woe for Watson in New England and Cam to get right for Panthers | NFL | Sporting News
There are some intriguing matchups on deck for the rest of Week 3, including a meeting of two unbeaten teams in the Falcons and Lions, an AFC West clash between the Chiefs and Chargers and the Seahawks' trip to Tennessee to take on the Titans.
FPI projects best, most important games of NFL Week 3
The classic AFC West matchup between the Chiefs and Chargers will shift to the StubHub Center, where the (perhaps-less-than capacity?) crowd will be treated to what FPI projects as Week 3's highest-quality contest.
N.F.L. Week 3 Predictions: Our Picks Against the Spread - The New York Times
The N.F.L.’s hierarchy might get some clarity when Atlanta and Detroit square off, and Oakland looks to move to 3-0. Here’s who we think will win.
Sam Farmer's NFL picks for Week 3 - LA Times
L.A. Times columnist Sam Farmer makes his NFL picks for Week 3.
Why NFL's first London game 10 years ago was a messy success
It has been 10 years since the NFL staged its first regular-season game in London, a sloppy, soggy contest -- Eli Manning calls it a "mud-fest" -- with a historical significance that far outweighed the quality of play.
NFL announcers remain silent as players look like fools | New York Post
If there was one team in town that was granted unconditional love, the kind passed to three, four generations, it was the Giants, once known as the New York Giants for both emphasis and to avoid confusion with the baseball team that shared the Polo Grounds.
Malcolm Jenkins of memo to NFL -- 'No bigger platform'
Striking an amicable but businesslike tone while saying there was no bigger platform from which to achieve their ends than the NFL, the players on an August memo seeking a push from the league into social activism expounded on their intentions Thursday.
Los Angeles Chargers' Okung aspires to be first black NFL owner
As an entrepreneur active in several technology companies, Chargers LT Russell Okung has huge aspirations after his playing career ends.