John Elway allowed himself to ignore his gut and follow the pleas from Denver Broncos players to keep Vance Joseph for another year. The decision will likely haunt the franchise in 2018 as Joseph has not proven he is a solid head coaching personality.
Up until a few weeks ago, I believed he deserved a second year with a quarterback situation that doesn’t suck. However, once I began to list out the follies and miscalculations of his first year as a head coach my opinion turned against him.
His failures go well beyond a poor quarterback situation and I am unconvinced a second year will help him improve enough to get the Broncos ship back on a playoff track.
Reasons to give him another year
- Players love the guy
- First year of experience will be huge
- Continuity at the top
- Doesn’t clash with John Elway
- Speaking of Elway, he created this mess
- Great practices (Or so we’ve been told)
Reasons not to give him another year
- Eight-game losing streak
- Mismanagement of quarterback situation
- Isaiah freaking McKenzie
- Eight double-digit losses
- Lack of discipline on the field
- Lack of quality in-game adjustments
- Poor in-game decision making
- Same team went 9-7 with better coaching
- Fans almost universally dislike him
- This Tweet
There are a couple of good reasons and Elway let them override some of the more damaging and troubling reasons he should be immediately fired.
In exactly a year, I predict Elway will finally realize he should have trusted his gut and will make the hard decision of dismissing Joseph has head coach of the Denver Broncos.
What do you think?
Did Elway make a mistake sticking with Joseph for a second season?
This poll is closed