One prospect who the Denver Broncos may show interest in on day two of the 2018 NFL Draft is former Georgia running back Nick Chubb. He is a 5’11”, 227lbs running back and considered one of the better backs in this entire draft class. Chubb is ranked as the 6th best running back in the draft according to NFLDraftScout.com and is considered the 69th best overall prospect in the 2018 NFL Draft as well.
Chubb played a total of four seasons at Georgia and put up some impressive numbers during his time here there. During his four-year career at Georgia, he totaled 4,769 yards and 44 rushing touchdowns. He averaged an impressive 6.3 yards per carry during his career and also totaled 31 receptions for 361 yards. This past season, Chubb totaled 1.345 yards, 15 touchdowns, and a YPC of 6.0 yards.
Running Back, Senior, Georgia
Height: 5’11”, Weight: 227lbs 40 time: 4.52
Arm Length: 32” Hands: 9 5/8”
Bench Press: 29 reps Vertical Jump: 38.5 inches Broad Jump: 128.0 inches
3-Cone Drill: 7.09 seconds 20-Yard Shuttle: 4.25
- Has a thick build
- Strong arms and a thick lower half
- Runs with a low center of gravity which helps him get yards after contact
- Has good vision and cut back ability
- A balanced runner
- An intelligent runner
- Has enough speed to attack the edge of the defense
- Smooth runner with good feet
- Just has the look of a productive power runner in the NFL
- Successful running back in the SEC
- Protective of the ball. Only 3 lost fumbles during the past two years including 0 in 2017
- Has the traits to become an NFL bell-cow running back
- Had a significant knee injury that ended his 2015 season, but returned to form in 2017
- Tore his PCL, MCL, and LCL in 2015, but not the ACL
- Medicals will be key
- Not an overly explosive athlete
- Lacks that second gear to outrun defenders
- Probably will not be too productive in the passing game
Does running back Nick Chubb make sense for the Broncos?
I love the fit!(If the Broncos move on from running back C.J. Anderson which has not happened as of yet).
The Broncos do have Devontae Booker and De’Angelo Henderson, but neither have bell-cow/power runner traits. Chubb would give them a 15 to 20 carry a game guy who can be an asset in short yardage/goal line situations for them. No longer will 3rd and 1 be the Broncos weakness.
The way the NFL is going, you need multiple backs to fill different roles. It is a copycat league and the Eagles and Patriots both did this. Chubb can be your power back, Booker can be your 1B/receiving back and Henderson can be your speedy/shifty change of pace guy. This would help take some pressure off quarterback Case, Keenum.
I think Chubb will fall into the early portions of the third round during the 2018 NFL Draft and the Broncos have an early third round pick, so I like the fit.
Do you want the Broncos to spend a day two pick on running back Nick Chubb?
This poll is closed