One prospect who the Broncos may show interest in on day two of the 2018 NFL Draft is former San Diego State running back, Rashaad Penny. He is a 5’11”, 220lb running back who is considered one of the top backs in the 2018 NFL Draft. Penny is ranked as the 7th best running back in the 2018 NFL Draft according to NFLDraftScout.com and is ranked as the 76th overall prospect in the entire draft.
Penny played four seasons at San Diego State and is coming off an impressive breakout year for them. During his four-year career, he totaled 3,656 yards rushing and 38 touchdowns. Penny averaged 7.5 yards per carry during those four years and added 42 receptions for 479 yards and 6 touchdowns. This past season, he totaled an impressive 2,248 yards rushing and 23 touchdowns. He averaged 7.8 yards per carry last season and added 19 receptions for 135 yards and 2 touchdowns.
He also had 81 career kick returns for 2,449 yards and 7 touchdowns. Penny only had two career punt returns, but one went for a touchdown.
Rashaad Penny, Senior, San Diego State
Height: 5’11” Weight 220lbs 40 time: 4.46 seconds
Arm Length: 31 1/4” Hands: 9 1/4”
Bench Press: 13 reps Vertical Jump: 32.5 inches
Broad Jump: 120.0 inches
- Looks the part of an NFL rusher
- Ideal frame for a rusher
- Explosive back with big-play ability
- Possesses ideal vision
- Patient runner willing to wait for the hole to open
- Dangerous in space
- Runs with ideal power
- Finishes runs with force, lowers his shoulder, and his feet/legs always keep going
- Had 86 forced missed tackles(per PFF) which is top among backs in this draft
- Good ball security
- A reliable receiver when called on/has good hands
- Explosive kick returner with 7 career kick return touchdowns
- Limited punt return experience but also has returned one back for a touchdown
- Performed very well at the 2018 Reese’s Senior Bowl
- Didn’t play the strongest competition week in and week out
- Runs a tad high for my liking
- Not as powerful as you would expect from a back his size
- Needs work in pass protection
- Has soft hands but wasn’t used much in the passing game in college
- Sometimes dances too much
Does running back Rashaad Penny makes sense for the Broncos?:
If the Broncos are looking for a back to pair with Booker and Henderson, then I would be all for Penny joining the Broncos backfield.
Penny offers big-play ability as well as some power to his game. He’s a bit of a slasher who is dangerous in the field and could be a better pass catcher in the NFL than he was in college. I see starter traits in Penny and would love it if he joined the Broncos.
He also has some value in the kick return game. While at San Diego State, he totaled 7 career kick return touchdowns. The Broncos have been lacking in this department for years and Penny could step in right away here and contribute.
With Keenum at quarterback, the Broncos will need a strong running game and Penny could provide just that. Especially with Devontae Booker and De’Angelo Henderson also in the mix as well.
Penny will be a day two pick, but how high remains the question. I think he could easily be a top 50 pick, but this draft is loaded with backs and he could fall into the third round. I am not sure if he is worth the 40th overall pick, but if he is there in the early third, I would love to see Penny selected here.
Would you like the Broncos to select running back Rashaad Penny on day 2 of the NFL Draft?
This poll is closed