I saw a post free agency NFL power rankings post the other day and thought maybe the Denver Broncos did some things that would generate some movement from the bottom where they predictably began since their last ranking after the Super Bowl was over.
26. Broncos (26): If John Elway gets the Joe Flacco who shocked Denver in 2012 playoffs, bravo. If not? GM will likely be taking another swing at QB conundrum.
So let me get this straight.
- Vic Fangio is not an upgrade over Vance Joseph.
- Mike Munchak is not an upgrade over Sean Kuglar.
- Ed Donatell is not an upgrade over Joe Woods.
- Kareem Jackson is not an upgrade over Darian Stewart.
- Ja’Wuan James is not an upgrade over Jared Veldheer.
- Bryce Callahan is not an upgrade over Bradley Roby
- Joe Flacco is not an upgrade over Case Keenum.
No Broncos Country, Nate Davis here is saying all of those moves did nothing to make the Broncos a better football team in 2019. It’s funny because he knocked the Chicago Bears down six spots due to the loss of Fangio.
I’m going to do Davis a favor here though and fix his mistakes and rather lazy analysis of the Broncos free agency moves.
16. Broncos (26): After snagging a hard-nosed defensive coach in Vic Fangio, John Elway went out to return the Broncos defense to glory with two of the top ranked cornerbacks in 2018. Pairing those moves with upgrades at quarterback and right tackle, they should be much improved in 2019.
See how easy that was? I only had to write one extra sentence. The Broncos have improved, but they still have many questions left to answer. They are by no means at the bottom of the NFL in rankings at this point, but they are not quite a playoff team either.
Where should the Broncos rank in the NFL right now?
This poll is closed
Closer to 16th
Closer to 26th