One prospect the Broncos are bringing in for a pre-draft visit and could consider drafting during the 2019 NFL Draft is former TCU edge rusher, Ben Banogu. He’s a 6’3”, 250lb pass rusher who is currently rising up draft boards. Bangou is ranked as the 21st best edge rusher in the 2019 NFL Draft according to the The Draft Network, and is ranked as the 178th best player in the draft.
He played a total of three seasons at TCU and was a consistent force for them on the defensive side of the ball. During Banogu’s three-year career, he totaled 156 tackles, 45 tackles for a loss, 20 sacks, and 7 forced fumbles. This past year, he totaled 57 tackles, 18 tackles for a loss, 8.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles.
Here are some of Banogu’s accolades during his time at TCU via gofrogs.com.
- Reese’s Senior Bowl Invitation
- 2018 First-Team All-Big 12
- 2018 First-Team AP All-Big 12
- 2018 Honorable-Mention Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year
- 2018 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week, vs. Baylor
- 2017 Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year
- 2017 First-Team All-Big 12
- 2017 First-Team AP All-Big 12
- 2017 Honorable-Mention Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year
Edge Rusher | Senior | TCU
Height: 6’3” | Weight: 250lbs | 40-time: 4.62 seconds
Arm length: 33 5/8” | Hands: 9”
Bench Press: 23 reps | Vertical Jump: 40 inches | Broad Jump: 134.0 inches
3-Cone Drill: 7.02 seconds | 20-Yard Shuttle: 4.27 seconds
- Good size and long arms
- Athletic build
- Athletic and tested very well
- Sometimes quick off the snap
- Wins with speed
- Has a nasty spin move
- Converts speed to power
- Rangy player who moves well in space
- Good closing speed
- Big hitter
- Versatile player who played all over TCU’s front
- Relentless player with a high motor
- High upside player with plenty of room to grow
- While he has a good first-step and can be explosive off the snap, he’s inconsistent at doing it.
- Not very flexible
- Pass rush moves could use some development
- Can get overwhelmed by power
- Needs plenty of development as a player
Mockdraftable spider graph:
The Draft Network’s Kyle Crabbs on TCU edge rusher, Ben Banogu.
“Ben Banogu is one of the most high-upside defenders of this year’s NFL Draft. Banogu has dynamic explosion and he’s got effective change of direction skills as well. Played in a very gap-disciplined defense at TCU, Banogu wasn’t necessarily allowed to roam free as an aggressive pass rusher, which has stunted some of his growth. In a new, more aggressive environment, Banogu could develop in time to be a high impact pass rusher.”
Does Banogu make sense for the Broncos on day two of the 2019 NFL Draft?:
I like Banogu’s game, and think he can be a solid pass rushing option for whoever drafts him. He needs some work and has his flaws of course, but there are developmental traits there that should intrigue coaches and General Managers.
Ben Banogu is an elite athlete with arguably the highest ceiling of any edge rusher. He doesn't have the technical aspects locked down yet, but he has a chance to be a star https://t.co/zPKSVOm7Zg pic.twitter.com/0rqvZgMIsf— Billy Marshall (@BillyM_91) March 22, 2019
According to reports, “The feeling leaving pro day is Banogu will land anywhere between picks 40 and 60.”. So if these reports are accurate, the Broncos will need to spend their second-round selection on him if they want him.
The Broncos do have Von Miller and Bradley Chubb obviously, but did lose Shaq Barrett and Shane Ray to free agency so they are lacking some depth. Now, while undrafted free agent Jeff Holland looks promising, the Broncos should look to add depth at some-point during the 2019 NFL Draft. Should they do it as early as the second round? I don’t know, but it appears to be something in play for them.
Do you want the Broncos to draft edge rusher Ben Banogu in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft?
This poll is closed