clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Broncos at Packers second quarter recap

The Denver Broncos enter halftime down 17-10 to the Green Bay Packers, with momentum being stolen away by the referees and a turnover for Denver in the second quarter.

NFL: Denver Broncos at Green Bay Packers Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

The Denver Broncos began the second quarter with a first and goal opportunity against the Green Bay Packers. Phillip Lindsay run it up the gut for three yards on first down, then he took it the rest of the way on second down to put the Broncos back into the game.

Broncos 7, Packers 7.

The Broncos drive was 15 plays for 77 yards. Quite an impressive and methodical drive for Denver.

It had seemed like it had been forever since the Packers offense had seen the field. They opened up with a short three yard gain, but a false start penalty on the next play made it a second and 12.

Aaron Rodgers, from the shotgun, handed off inside and bull rushed his way for a 12 yard gain and a first down. A face mask penalty on Josey Jewel added another 15 yards on that play.

Derek Wolfe went down on the play and had to leave the field on a cart. DeMarcus Walker entered the game as his replacement.

Once play resumed, Rodgers found Davante Adams finally who snagged a back shoulder pass down to the Broncos 28-yard line with Chris Harris Jr. in coverage.

The drive for the Packers would stall from there three plays later after De’Vante Bausby jumped the route to knock the third down pass away.

The Packers would bang the field goal through for the lead.

Packers 10, Broncos 7.

The Broncos offense came back out onto the field looking to get another good drive going. It started well with Lindsay running it up the middle for a quick nine yards. On the next play, Flacco his Noah Fant over the middle who made a nice grab in tight coverage for a 17 yard gain to the Packers 49.

Royce Freeman got into the action with a four yard gain on the next first down carry. Freeman pounded his way for another four yards on second down to setup a third and two. Both Lindsay and Freeman were in the backfield on the next play and Flacco went to Emmanuel Sanders for the first down at the Packers 33 yard line.

Two plays later, the Flacco hit Lindsay on a short pass over the middle for a 15 yard gain into the red zone. Freeman to the next hand off to the house for an 18 yard touchdown, but a holding call on Sanders wiped it out. The replay looked like a phantom holding call.

Lindsay took it outside on the next play to set up a second and a short one. Freeman would bull his way for a half yard to setup a third and inches. Flacco tried to sneak it through and barely got it over the first down marker.

With a first and goal from the seven, Flacco had a ball tipped away from Sanders in the end zone. But after a quick inside run to Lindsay to the three, the Broncos were faced with a third and goal. Flacco was then sacked to bring out the field goal unit.

Broncos 10, Packers 10.

Von Miller was held on consecutive plays to open the Packers next drive, but no calls were made. On third and three, Rodgers found his wide receiver for the first down, but Bausby jarred the ball loose to force the punt.

From their own 18, the Broncos had two and a half minutes before halftime. Flacco had the ball stripped and Elijah Wilkinson fell on it, but did not recover. The Packers got the ball eventually at the Broncos five yard line.

Bradley Chubb stuffed the Packers first run for a one-yard loss. Rodgers handed off again and Aaron Jones ran it up the gut for the touchdown and the halftime lead. There was no hint of a makeup holding call for Denver.

Packers 17, Broncos 10.

The Broncos attempted to run the clock out from there, but the playcalling was questionable. The Packers stuffed them with a three and out and got the ball back with less than a minute to go.

A great punt by Colby Wadman pushed the Packers back to their own 10-yard line, where Green Bay would take things into halftime.