From afar, the Denver Broncos week three matchup looks like a tale of two quarterbacks.
Zach Wilson’s career has not gotten off to the start the New York Jets hoped for. The rookie has thoroughly struggled the first two games of 2020, completing 55.7% of his passes for 468 yards, two touchdowns and five interceptions. Sports Info Solutions charting deems 68.6% of his passes as on target, which ranks 19th among quarterbacks with at least 50 drop backs this year. He’s also taken 10 sacks.
On the other hand, Teddy Bridgewater’s start with the Broncos has been better than just about anyone dared hope for. The veteran’s been the steadying force on offense, completing 77.1% of his passes for 592 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. 74.3% of his passes have been on target by SIS charting, which ranks eighth among quarterbacks with 50 drop backs this year. He’s taken five sacks.
To beat the Broncos, the Jets will need better play from the second pick of the 2021 draft, who’s mixed in a few promising moments with the kind of growing pains you’d expect after making the jump from BYU to the NFL. He’ll face off against a Fangio defense that discombobulated Trevor Lawrence.
The stat from today that was most wild is that Trevor Lawrence passed for 35 yards on his final six drives.— Nick Kosmider (@NickKosmider) September 20, 2021
To get a better idea as to how the Broncos can seal the victory, I spoke with Play Like a Jet’s Luke Grant on this week’s Cover 2 Broncos. What follows are the topics we discussed:
- What do you expect Robert Saleh to do to try and slow down Teddy Bridgewater?
- Quinnen Williams vs. the Broncos iOL
- How has the Jets run defense looked?
- New York’s corners are a bit of a mystery to Broncos fans. How have they looked so far?
- Do you expect the Jets to blitz a lot?
- How do the linebackers handle coverage responsibilities?
- If the Broncos go with heavy personnel, how do you think the Jets will match them?
- Zach Wilson had a bit of a meltdown last week. What happened?
- New York lost Mekhi Becton to injury and he won’t play in this matchup. How has the OL looked in his absence? How did Morgan Moses look in his debut?
- What should we expect from New York’s ground game? Is it the Michael Carter show?
- Who are the pass catchers you’re most optimistic about heading into this matchup?
- What x-factors could be sneaky huge for the matchup?
- What’s your prediction for the game?
- Broncos win if…?
- Jets win if…?