Russell Wilson is now a member of the Denver Broncos and the major moves in free agency are in the rearview mirror. Crazy as it seems, we’re already a month out from the 2022 NFL Draft, which makes it a good time to work through another mock draft scenario.
What follows is a mock draft scenario where I made picks for teams leading up to the Broncos’ selection, setting the table for you to vote on what Paton should do. This is the fifth version of the Broncos’ Vote Mock, and it’s’ the first following the Broncos trade for Wilson. Now that Denver is left without a pick in the first 63 my hope is this exercise helps to better inform as to what realistic options away George Paton and the Broncos. Let’s get cooking.
1. Jacksonville Jaguars - OT, Ikem Ekwonu, NC State
Elevator pitch: Giving Trevor Lawrence help to evaluate if he is the guy.
2. Detroit Lions - ED, Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan
Elevator pitch: A Michigan man and foundational pass rusher.
3. Houston Texans - S, Kyle Hamilton, Notre Dame
Elevator pitch: A team that needs it all chases the best player available.
4. New York Jets - OT, Evan Neal, Alabama
Elevator pitch: He and Mekhi Becton give Zach Wilson mammoth bookends.
5. New York Giants - ED/DL, Travon Walker, Georgia
Elevator pitch: Versatile freak athlete lands with Wink Martindale.
T6. Pittsburgh Steelers - QB, Malik Willis, Liberty
Elevator pitch: GM Colbert’s last big move is for Ben Roethlisberger’s heir.
7. New York Giants - OT, Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa
Elevator pitch: Can pair with Andrew Thomas a long term book ends.
8. Atlanta Falcons - ED, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oregon
Elevator pitch: Once considered a lock for first overall. Atlanta’s ecstatic.
9. Seattle Seahawks - QB, Kenny Pickett, Pitt
Elevator pitch: Carroll doesn’t have time for a rebuild so its Pickett vs. Lock.
10. New York Jets - CB, Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, Cincinnati
Elevator pitch: A legitimate CB1 makes the whole defense better.
11. Washington Commanders - WR, Drake London, USC
Elevator pitch: Gives the receiving corps. an X and helps Wentz.
T.12. Arizona Cardinals - ED, Jermaine Johnson, Florida State
Elevator pitch: The heir to Chandler Jones pairs with J.J. Watt in year one.
13. Houston Texans - OT, Charles Cross, Mississippi State
Elevator pitch: Long term replacement for Jeremy Tunsil.
14. Baltimore Ravens - CB, Derek Stingley, LSU
Elevator pitch: Stingley has perhaps highest upside of anyone in this class.
15. Philadelphia Eagles - CB, Andrew Booth Jr., Clemson
Elevator pitch: Philly’s left wondering if they just missed on Stingley.
T.16. Kansas City Chiefs - DL, Jordan Davis, Georgia
Elevator pitch: Jumped L.A. for a freakish space eater to clog up the middle.
17. Los Angeles Chargers - DL, Devonte Wyatt, Georgia
Elevator pitch: Staley grabs the best three technique available.
18. New Orleans Saints - WR, Jameson Williams, Alabama
Elevator pitch: Once the ACL’s are cleared Jameis to Jameson will be fun.
19. Philadelphia Eagles - ED, Boye Mafe, Minnesota
Elevator pitch: Roseman takes a chance on upside to replace older edges.
T20. Carolina Panthers - QB, Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati
Elevator pitch: Experienced passer who can compete with Sam Darnold.
21. New England Patriots - LB, Devin Lloyd, Utah
Elevator pitch: A new age do-it-all linebacker to reshape the D around.
22. Green Bay Packers - WR, Garrett Wilson, Ohio State
Elevator pitch: The Davante Adams replacement is a Buckeye.
T23. Minnesota Vikings - CB, Trent McDuffie, Washington
Elevator pitch: A 2023 first and a versatile corner who fits the scheme.
24. Dallas Cowboys - ED, George Karlaftis, Purdue
Elevator pitch: Let’s grabs a Boilermaker to replace a Cornhusker.
25. Buffalo Bills - OG, Zion Johnson, Boston College
Elevator pitch: Guard is one area where the right rookie could find early time.
26. Tennessee Titans - OC, Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa
Elevator pitch: A “generational center” and Ben Jones is now on notice.
27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB, Kaiir Elam, Florida
Elevator pitch: A long, developmental starter a year ahead of a reset at CB.
28. Green Bay Packers - WR, Chris Olave, Ohio State
Elevator pitch: Why not replace Adams CFB’s best receiving duo?
T.29. Philadelphia Eagles - WR, Treylon Burks, Arkansas
Elevator pitch: A 2023 first and a big bodied pass catcher for Jalen Hurts
30. Kansas City Chiefs - ED, Arnold Ebiketie, Penn State
Elevator pitch: Frank Clark isn’t long for the roster so edge is a need.
31. Cincinnati Bengals - OG, Kenyon Green, Texas A&M
Elevator pitch: Big body with light feet who can compete for time early.
32. Detroit Lions - S, Daxton Hill, Michigan
Elevator pitch: Should be able compete for time at safety or slot early.
33. Jacksonville Jaguars - OL, Tyler Smith, Tulsa
Elevator pitch: A toolsy lineman who needs time to rework his technique.
34. Detroit Lions - LB, Nakobe Dean , Georgia
Elevator pitch: Day one competitor for a starting job who adds speed to D.
35. New York Jets - WR, Skyy Moore, Western Michigan
Elevator pitch: Let’s give Zach Wilson a talented receiver to grow with.
36. New York Giants - S, Lewis Cine, Georgia
Elevator pitch: A safety who can thrive in a multiple scheme such as Wink’s.
37. Houston Texans - CB, Kyler Gordon, Washington
Elevator pitch: An inside/outside corner to become a cornerstone on D.
38. New York Jets - DL/ED, Logan Hall, Houston
Elevator pitch: Saleh receives a versatile building block up front.
39. Chicago Bears - OT, Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan
Elevator pitch: An older prospect, but he still looks like he’s ascending.
40. Seattle Seahawks - ED, Josh Paschal, Kentucky
Elevator pitch: A high effort power end who can also play inside.
41. Seattle Seahawks - RB, Kenneth Walker, Michigan State
Elevator pitch: A punishing runner who can set the bully ball tone.
42. Indianapolis Colts - ED, Jahan Dotson, Penn State
Elevator pitch: Matt Ryan desperately needs more pass catchers.
43. Atlanta Falcons - QB, Sam Howell, North Carolina
Elevator pitch: Ryan’s heir gets time to learn behind Marcus Mariota.
44. Cleveland Browns - DL, Perrion Winfrey, Oklahoma
Elevator pitch: There’s a real need for more interior pass rush
45. Baltimore Ravens - DL, Phidarian Mathis, Alabama
Elevator pitch: A stout 310 lb. clogger who can be a factor as a pass rusher.
46. Minnesota Vikings - DL, DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M
Elevator pitch: Ideally gives Minny their version of Dre’Mont Jones.
47. Washington Commanders - QB, Matt Corral, Ole Miss
Elevator pitch: Who are we kidding, Carson Wentz isn’t the answer.
48. Chicago Bears - WR, Christian Watson, North Dakota State
Elevator pitch: A 6’4 burner who could develop into a WR1
49. New Orleans Saints - S, Jaquan Brisker, Penn State
Elevator pitch: Malcolm Jenkins is 34 and won’t play forever.
50. Kansas City Chiefs - WR, Alec Pierce, Cincinnati
Elevator pitch: A dynamic 6’3 athlete with the catch radius to win downfield.
51. Philadelphia Eagles - LB, Chad Muma, Wyoming
Elevator pitch: A four down skillset with the ability to thrive in coverage.
T52. Carolina Panthers - OT, Rasheed Walker, Penn State
Elevator pitch: A traits over technique type who offers appealing upside.
53. Green Bay Packers - ED, Kingsley Enagbare, South Carolina
Elevator pitch: A long-armed pass rusher with quick, powerful hands.
54. New England Patriots - CB, Derion Kendrick, Georgia
Elevator pitch: Long term replacement for Stephon Gilmore.
55. Arizona Cardinals - WR, George Pickens, Georgia
Elevator pitch: Long athletic pass catcher to replace A.J. Green.
56. Dallas Cowboys - CB, Roger McCreary, Auburn
Elevator pitch: Should play early and help reshuffle secondary
57. Buffalo Bills - RB, Breece Hall, Iowa State
Elevator pitch: The stable has been disappointing during the Josh Allen era.
58. Atlanta Falcons - WR, John Metchie III, Alabama
Elevator pitch: Metchie should quickly emerge as a contributor.
59. Green Bay Packers - DL, Travis Jones, Connecticut
Elevator pitch: Should help the Pack improve their run defense.
60. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - LB, Quay Walker, Georgia
Elevator pitch: David is 32 and depth is suspect.
61. San Francisco 49ers - iOL, Ed Ingram, LSU
Elevator pitch: Promising scheme fit with the goods to contribute quickly
62. Kansas City Chiefs - CB, Coby Bryant, Cincinnati
Elevator pitch: A developmental starter to replace Charvarius Ward
63. Cincinnati Bengals - TE, Trey McBride, Colorado State
Elevator pitch: Gives Joe Burrow a potential mismatch threat tight end.
64. Who should George Paton draft, Broncos Country?
Who should the Broncos draft in this scenario?
This poll is closed
ED - David Ojabo - Michigan
ED - Drake Jackson - USC
ED - Cameron Thomas - SDSU
ED - Nik Bonitto - Oklahoma
ED - Sam Williams - Ole Miss
ED - Myjai Sanders - Cincinnati
OT - Nicholas Petit-Frere - OSU
OT - Abraham Lucas - Washington State
OT - Max Mitchell - Louisiana
OT - Daniel Faalele - Minnesota
LB - Christian Harris - Alabama
LB - Brian Asamoah - Oklahoma
LB - Darian Beavers - Cincinnati
LB - Leo Chenal - Wisconsin
LB - Channing Tindall - Alabama
LB - Troy Anderson - Montana State
LB - JoJo Domann - Nebraska
CB - Mykael Wright - Oregon
CB - Josh Jobe - Alabama
CB - Marcus Jones - Houston
CB - Martin Emerson - Mississippi State
CB - Tariq Woolen - UTSA
CB - Mario Goodrich - Clemson
DB - Jalen Pitre - Baylor
S - Kerby Joseph - Illinois
DL - Neil Farrell Jr. - LSU
DL - Zachary Carter - Florida
iOL - Sean Ryan - UCLA
iOL - Jamaree Salyer - Georgia
iOL - Dylan Parham - Memphis
iOL - Darian Kinnard - Kentucky
iOL - Cole Strange - Chattanooga
TE - Isaiah Likely - Coastal Carolina
TE - Cade Otton - Washington
TE - Jeremy Ruckert - OSU
TE - Greg Dulcich - UCLA
TE - Jelani Woods - Virginia
Other (please comment)