I mentioned in my No Bull Review yesterday how I’m okay with this start as long as we see growth from it with our new coaching regime.
I just want to reiterate to Broncos Country: I know losing stings, but it is just one game and these are all new coaches doing all new jobs. Let’s give them a little space to improve. And by space I mean like at least 8 games.
We’re a fickle bunch as fans and we love to get our knee-jerk on especially for a hyped-up game with so many interesting connotations (Russell vs Carroll. Who got the better end of the trade? Which of these two teams is going to look like a contender?).
But let’s keep a little No Bull perspective:
- This was one of the most meaningless games for the success of the 2022 Denver Broncos that there is on the schedule. Seattle is not even in our conference and it was an away game.
- The Broncos were not given a punched ticket to the playoffs and have a lot of work to do to show us and the NFL that they are to be taken as a serious threat this season.
- By the end of the season, these two franchises will be headed in very different directions and I would not trade places with their fans if you paid me
As for the coaches:
- Nathaniel Hackett already has changed his mind about his decision-making. From the outside, it sure sounds like he talked with his coaches and came to a different conclusion after sitting down and reviewing the game situations in order to learn from it.
- Ejiro Evero adjusted his defense at halftime. I have to think that is going to translate to a defense that is going to be far more capable and dialed in at the beginning of the next game.
- This team only ran it 20 times and averaged 5.2 yards per carry. I would hope they would see the success and rethink how often they are calling passes based on what we saw in the game.
I for one am encouraged to see a coach take ownership truly of his choices and say he was wrong. That’s bravery. That’s a hard thing to do as a human on planet earth. I have to say that I respect the hell out of Hackett for being willing to own it.
Injury Report: Broncos evaluating Quinn Meinerz’ status after hamstring injury
Head Coach Nathaniel Hackett also provided a brief update on Josey Jewell and Billy Turner.
Broncos Now: HC Nathaniel Hackett reflects on Broncos’ season opener
On this episode of "Broncos Now," Sydney Jones recaps Head Coach Nathaniel Hackett's press conference on Tuesday as he reflects on his decisions from Monday night. Plus, Broncos Lead Writer Aric DiLalla joins the show to recap the team's loss vs. the Seah
The decision: Why the Broncos chose to attempt a 64-yard field goal – DenverFan - DenverFan
The odds were not in the Broncos' favor when they sent Brandon McManus out to attempt a 64-yard game-winning field goal.
Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett on controversial 4th-and-5 decision: 'We definitely should've gone for it'
Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett told reporters he regrets his decision to kick a 64-yard field goal at the end of regulation of Monday's dramatic loss the the Seahawks.
Three numbers that tell the story of Broncos-Seahawks - DenverFan
Penalties, field-goal success odds and a series of numbers that should have meant a win ... but didn't.
Russell Wilson Discusses Whether 64-Yard Field Goal Try Was Right Decision - Sports Illustrated
Instead of getting a chance to pick up the fourth down, Denver’s first-year coach elected to kick the field goal.
Other NFL News:
NFL Power Rankings, Week 2: Vikings, Dolphins climb; Packers, Raiders slip
With the first week of the 2022 season in the books, Dan Hanzus provides a fresh batch of NFL Power Rankings -- and a whopping 30 teams are on the move!
Cleveland unveils new 'Brownie the Elf' midfield logo for 2022 home-opener
The Cleveland Browns on Tuesday revealed their midfield logo at FirstEnergy Stadium for the 2022 season: "Brownie the Elf".
Bills Among Familiar Faces Atop Week 1 DVOA | Football Outsiders
Many of our top preseason teams were among the top teams in Week 1, starting with the Super Bowl favorites in Buffalo. Plus: an updated Post-Game Win Expectancy formula.
'Serious' knee injury suffered by Seattle Seahawks safety Jamal Adams to require 'some work,' coach Pete Carroll says
Seattle Seahawks safety Jamal Adams has a serious left knee injury that will require "some work," coach Pete Carroll said Tuesday, adding he does not yet know the full extent of the injury.
Dak Prescott won't go on IR, has 'real chance' for quick return to Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones says
The Cowboys will not put Dak Prescott on injured reserve, according to owner Jerry Jones, who says the star QB "has a real chance" to return within four games.
Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid blames injuries to Trent McDuffie, Harrison Butker on Arizona Cardinals' field
Chiefs coach Andy Reid said injuries to cornerback Trent McDuffie and kicker Harrison Butker are attributable to the loose sod the team played on in Arizona.
Davante Adams delivers in Raiders debut, but the All-Pro needs help - Las Vegas Raiders Blog- ESPN
Adams was great in his Silver and Black debut but the rest of the Raiders' offense had significant issues in the loss to the Chargers.
Brett Favre’s Alleged Welfare Scheme Involvement Revealed in New Texts - Sports Illustrated
Messages from 2017 appear to show Favre asking whether the source and amount of money he received could be tracked by the media.
Patrick Mahomes Shares Latest on Status of Wrist Injury - Sports Illustrated
The Chiefs quarterback provided an update on his health ahead of Thursday’s game against the Chargers.